Iguazu
Late arrival from El Calafate due to a delayed flight, home, shower, download of pic's and bed for barely 3hours. Oh well, some things never change and my sleep deprivation continues.
Morning flight to Iguazu from Aeroparque, that I could make my second home...I fly LAN airlines, the Argentinian subsidiary of the Chilean airline. Mess at check in due to a flood at the check in area. Finally we take off normally after the expected delay.
As we approach the destination from the plane you can easily spot a stripe of lighter green in the middle of the jungle, of a darker green. Not far from that stripe there is a kind of fumes, like vapour. That is the cloud form the water sprayed at teh waterfall.
On my arrival I call up the youth hostel to secure a bed, which I do. I go to pick up the transfer bus to Puerto Iguazu but I missed it so I improvise a taxi with another lost French guy who should take a shower more often but hey, car windows completely down will do. We'll share the cost. On the way we agree we'd rather be driven to the park direct instead of the town. It is noon and I am not sure how long the visit to Iguazu waterfalls may take. Outside the airport a pregnant dog wanders around. I am told some people no longer want their dogs as pets and they are abandoned in the area to be devoured by jaguars that live freely in the jungle. The picture is terrifying how little appreciation for a pet but once again I try to avoid make strong judgements on other peoples I visit.
Once at the park I get organised on what would turn out to be my mistake of the day. I leave my little rucksack at a locker at the entrance. For one night stay I had decided against bringing any more luggage.
I contract the trip on speedboat. I hear it is worth the penny! A truck takes me through the jungle while a guide gives some explanations of the tree species. We get on the boat and everyone is wearing swimming suits. Panic! I have some bulky bermuda shorts. I regret having left the rucksack in the locker. I had a swimming suit... Oh well, enjoy the ride AND THE SHOWER anyway!
The speedboat sets sail. It is a powerful engine and goes up against a massive amount of water without any problems. Arriving to the area of the waterfalls is breathtaking once again. The beauty of these view is so magnificent!! We progress to the area where the cloud of spray seems thicker and hence more impenetrable, leading to the world known “Devil's throat”. Massive curtains of water foam and spray falling create a sense of being small, tiny. Some stops for pictures and ........ we rock 'n roll!!! We are taking with the powerful engines closer to the waterfalls, and we start to feel the particles of water on our skins and clothes. Then, abruptly, an acceleration leaves us right in the middle of the cloud of water spray. The water feels warm, and increasingly invading; more and more water, less spray and we lose the sense of vision, I can barely open my eyes in the middle of this storm of water. My heart starts beating more and more quickly... I cannot control this. exiting and back to more quite waters allows for a break to my heartbeat. And so we move on to another part of the waterfalls, and yet once again into the waterfalls -close enough-, and yet another shower, more soaking. But wow!!! this is a unique experience, feeling the heartbeat in my chest as if my chest were not big enough to hold an enlarged heart!
We approach a dock and we all get off the boat. I am soaked, dripping water all over but definitely worth it. This is such a unique way of enjoying the waterfalls....
Now I try to dry a bit and start following the path up the steep hill with the backdrop of the waterfalls opposite.
A few balconies and the path itself give some privileged spots to watch the panorama.
Once on the top the walkways walk you over the river to yet farther balconies right on the waterfalls. Can there be a better view in the world? I chat away with a couple of Brazilians who advise me to get on the little train taking you to the area of the “Devil's throat”, which I do. They are going too and we do the trip together. The sense of walking over an immense stream of water and the thought that falling means been swallowed by the river and being ejected at the waterfall roughly 100m high... unless you get lucky and fall at a quite area where caymans and snakes await you....
The devil's throat is simply incredible. How can I describe being there at the top of this flow of water and cloud of spray, on a balcony being showered every time the wind decides to blow against you... Very difficult indeed.
The day ends with a short bus ride to Puerto Iguazu, where I take my bed in the youth hostel and hook up with the Brazilians for dinner and a beer.
