Friday, 28 November 2008

Salta, Northern Argentina

Salta is a city, head of the province of the same name, which lays at an altitude of 1,200m above sea level. The whole city is far seems simple, humble and honest. It seems far from a rich city but it is such a pleasure to walk about in the city: relaxed, warm, full of friendly people and shops open til 21:00. Locals here have the habit of closing their shops between 13:30 and 16:00; hence the late opening.

My steps take me to the main square after some time. There I appreciate the remains of a once colonial architecture, the cathedral with its unique cross plant where the section behind the altar goes further deeper than any other church or cathedral I have seen before. This was originally a Jesuit settlement during the XVI century. They were in charge of expanding the Christian faith into this territory too.



Back at the hostel for dinner, I meet a Spanish girl from Burgos who is travelling alone. She tells me about Atacama, in Northern Chile; Uyuni, the large and magnificent “salar” or salt field located in Bolivia. We have a beer and dinner together and I go to bed. I had very little sleep last nite and tomorrow I have an early day again. It tough to be a tourist!!