Friday, 10 April 2009

Laos: LuangPrabang, last stop in Laos

I am in Luang Prabang. A city famous for its relaxation, its buddhist nonasteries, the Mekong River and French heritage. I arrived yesterday afternoon. Had to check a few guesthouses and finally Apaphi offered me a well priced and nice and fresh room with bathroom. I had the cheapest dinner at a buffet on the street in the middle of the beautiful night market: a plate (not a large one) with all you can eat for barely $60c. yes, 60 cents of a US dollar. Not prices you find in restaurants and shops but still, it feels good to do it at least once! I walked up and down the night market. Lots of interesting items I would have loved to buy but my luggage does not allow me. A different thing would be if I were going back home but not the case.... not yet ... The next day I spent wandering around the village: buddhist temples, chatting away with monks willing to speak English, of football, the museum, former palace of the monarch of Laos King Sisavangvong built in 1904 and lost when his heir and current member in the throne went into exile. I got lost in the few streets, sat at cafes to relax seeing the life of the village that was preparing for Laos New Year, taking place these days for 3-4 days. The way they celebrate is by throwing water to the Buddha and as an extension to walkers by and motorists on the streets alike. Today streets were a battle and every few steps there was a group of kids, sometimes joined by some tourists throwing the water or even battling with huge waterguns!! Here are some pics of this beautiful town.

Children of Luang Prabang






Streets of Luang Prabang


Temples








Lao New year - water on the streets