Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Bordeaux, a wine experience

I am going to Bordeaux with Glenn. He is an Englishman who has his own wine dealing company working mostly for some Japanese and US customers and who has kindly invited me to go to Bordeaux. There I will be attending a dinner at Chateau Palmer, but it is the Winexpo, the largest expo dedicated to wine and some other wine-like drinks (porto, champagne) in the world.
The first day I attend a dinner overlooking the river Garone with a beautiful view of the riverfront of the city. It is my first time in this city I am must admit I am most impressed.
The next day it is all about the expo and visiting different producers, and I got to learn a lot more about wines.
In the evening we go to Chateau Palmer but first we drive by Chateau Margaux, one of the meccas for best wine connoseurs. They are probably no more than 1km apart. Thevineyards in between are worth millions though... Upon arrival we are given a typical French straw hat, amused by a gang replicating an old circus from the early 20th century and offered some wine, champagne and bites. The diner run on some fantastic wines and some wonderful food, all in perfect timing, and best service.
The next day ot wa more expo, more tasting, more learning and yet a last dinner for me, hosted at the "Orangerie de Bruxellles" with yet some more wonderful wines, and a fun crowd.
The next day,I take the early train at 6:30a.m. from Bordeaux to Hendaye. Upon arrival I have to wait to take the local train to San Sebastian, and then a coach to Bilbao. QUite a trip but I sit at the table at my mom's with my sister, nephew and brother in law that had arrived a ouple of days before

First year in the barrel of new French oak; Chateau Palmer

Glenn and I sitting at the table

Le Chateau Palmer

Chateau Margaux, promenade to the entrance

Party at the orangeria by Ballande-Meneret