Monday, 1 December 2008

Tren de las Nubes: Viaducto de la Polvorilla and return

Some time after San Atonio we arrive to our final destination, the Polvorilla viaduct. We are pushed across to the other side and then back on the opposite direction, to start our return to Salta after a 20min. stopover to take pictures and check out a small handicraft market.
We also stop over at “San Antonio de los Cobres” where they also have another little handicraft market. I take advantage and buy some “empanadas” and “tortillas” for dinner as this will not be served on the train.
The return is uneventful, with some headache provoked by the height, -it seems the coca tea did not work its magic after all-, and some good sleep for every passenger. Having got up before 06:00a.m. Does not help, obviously.
We finally arrive at destination shortly after 23:00. It has been a looong day. Worth it but long anyway. I say goodbye to Fabien, and Pablo and I stop at a local “sandwicheria” where he orders a something like a burger and we share a beer before returning to our hostels.