Antigua was a very pleasant town to get to. Former capital of the whole of Guatemala, which used to comprise current Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Belice and most of Yucatan. It is relatively easy to think the supreme importance of this city in the times of the colonisation of the whole of Central America. (Panama was then part of Colombia).
My last day in Antigua I took a walking tour with Elisabeth Bell,a US American lady who has been living or attached to Antigua for the past 40 years and has carried out a remarkable job in gathering information on the history of the city, and on the current development projects of the city. She would tell us for instance the importance of the Government Palace, ruling the abovementioned area covering Central America. The difficulties of the communication at the time. The choice of Antigua
with a mild climate and close to water springs, ensuring the water prosion to the city. The cathedral was left without any treasures which were either taken to Guatemala City or simply sold. It was reduced to a chapel on the right side, which gives it a funny aspect as the structure does not certainly make any sense from the architectural standpoint, until one understands the closing of the main nave which is now empty, undergoing some restoration, and open.

Antigua's cathedral, remains of what it was in its full splendour times
Antigua is a city re-built as a city of one story housing, with wide streets. Houses tended to be very big and now might have been divided into two-to-four separate houses (casas chorizo, as called locally). It is really a very pleasant city to walk around.
When I arrived I looked for some accommodation following the advise of the Lonely Planet guidebook. This books have proved a great assistance. After checking a place that was out of my budget, I took abed in the "Black Cat", popular place among backpackers. I was not fully convinced of the place, but US$8 that give you a bed, right of use of showers and toilets and
a generous breakfast, was not bad! However I moved to a different hostel, El Hostal, the next day. For US$12 I could enjoy a nicer dorm, with bigger beds and a beautiful colonial patio with plants,tables, chairs, a hammock, and a far more relaxing atmosphere.

El hostal, far cozier and very Antigua-style
From Antigua there is a number of places of interest within a short radio: climbing up the Pacaya active volcano, Chichicastenango, the Atitlan lake with Mafia dominated Panajachel, and the beautiful smaller towns around this lake.
The first day I take the trip to the summit of the Pacaya volcano.
