I enjoy the waiting time checking out the terminal and observing the operations around the international terminal across the runway: a few 747's, Quantas and AirPacific, a Qatar Airways A340, and at the other side of the terminal building is now the Singapore Air new A380. The tail is so big that it cannot be overlooked.
I run into Sandra and Jayson near the gate. Joao would come out of the Qantas lounge a bit later. We have a laugh as we do all the time we spend together. They are really fun people. We finally board the plane on time and arrive to Ballina on scheduled time too.

Joao and I on arrival to Ballina
We drive off to Jayson and Sandra's hotel where we have an “apple mojito” on the couches in the garden looking over the swimming pool. We are then joined by Rod, who is hosting Joao and myself in his house on the hill in an area called “The Pocket”, 20min. Drive from Byron Bay. After the drink at the hotel we move on to Byron Bay where we have a drink at a beach bar. The atmosphere is relaxed, typical of a surf and beach place. People of all ages, looks and moods mix up for some chill out time over a drink or two. I start to get in the party/beach mood myself. I have to love this!!
We enjoy a nice burger in a pub in Brunswick with some live rock music, and we finally go home driving up the hill of Rod's property and arriving to this house on the summit with magnificent views we are to enjoy with the daylight; in the meantime an overwhelming view of stars hainging in the sky gives enough of a show by itself; I do not think I have ever seen so many stars, not even in my summers on Patmos. We lay on the deck outside, the strong breeze makes it just too nice no to. Rod opens a bottle of red wine that we enjoy chatting away under the light of all those stars.
The next day the view from the house is breathtaking: beautiful bright green hills surround the house. Having some breakfast with this view and the sun seems a privilege.

View from the main bedroom, at the far end the shore and the beaches, closer the green rainforest of Rod's property
Joao, Peter, Craig and I drive to King's beach in their car. Luckyly we get the last possible parking spot despite being quite early in the day. A series of steps lead to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Blue and white waves, clean and pretty sand, rainforest... make this a very special beach.

A view of King's Beach

Joao and I on King's Beach
People are friendly, talk to you, there is a fantastic atmosphere in all this. I enjoy bathing in the sea. Water feels refreshing when entering, -reminds me of the sea on the Basque coast that I used to enjoy when I was living in Barakaldo-. Here we are joined by Sandra and Jayson and we have a few good laughs again.

Our host Rod, the nicest host!!
We head back around 14:00; unfortunately due to the strong sun it is best not to stay too many hours exposed. We decide to have lunch at a cafe in Brunswick called Utopia. Service is best to forget but the food was really good and tasty. A bit of shopping for a BBQ we have invited to in the evening before going to THE NYE PARTY, and we return home. The light is still beautiful on the reflection of the green hills. Literally the colours in this part of the world are so sharp that strikes the eyes. Rod gently offers me a tour around the woods in the property. I am impressed by the beauty of the trees, woods and creeks. A warning: pythons populate this area but they are far from dangerous to the human being, party comforting but not fully!
We get ready and we are off to Doug and Rob's house, another beautiful property with a fantastic view in a privileged setting. We meet there other people: Richard, Deborah, Allison, with whom we chat in a nice atmosphere. Richard is in charge of the BBQ and the food is absolutely delicious: sausages, spicy chicken, pesto pasta, and some California rolls fill up our empty stomachs. Wine is well provided as well so everybody is on a party mood.
We depart the house as it is time to make it to the NYE party. So Rod, Peter, Craig and I arrive to the party in time for the midnight's fireworks to receive the NY over a toast and in a good party mood. The party is a great one with three different dance areas in separate buildings. Great music, absolutely best party mood and less attitude, -at the end of the day I am in Australia-, similar to the best parties in Ibiza but slightly different. FELIZ 2009!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
After party breakfast back in the house in, again, a strong sunshine, and off to get some rest in bed. Then we all go to Brunswick for a lunch at the “Happy Dolphin Cafe”the whole crowd, including Jayson and Sandra. There we are joined by Alex and Alan with whom I go to their house for an evening of swimming pool chill-out, along with their other friends, Brandon, Paul, Alex and others, fun guys to hang out with. It made a great evening!
Today Friday it is time to move to Brisbane. Peter and Craig offer me a lift to Byron to catch the shuttle. In Brisbane I am meeting my friend Jose and his friend Pablo.
